OVERVIEW: Houses an on-site clothing closet and food pantry to provide clients emergency assistance with food, clothing, and toiletries. Short-term financial relief may be provided for BGE turn-off notices and rental bills.
1) FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: If the caller is receiving help for BGE turn-off notice from the Samaritan Center, they can not receive help from the Salvation Army because they work together and the money comes from the same fund. Upon availability of funds, will provide assistance with utility turn-offs and court-ordered evictions. Household must be eligible for MEAP in order to receive funds towards BGE turn-off. Will help people who live in public housing. The best day to call is on Mon to be put on the list (if available).
ELIGIBILITY: For BGE turn-off, callers may be directed to apply for MEAP or the Fuel Fund before making a Salvation Army appointment. For further information call 410-783-2920 and have BGE account number and proof of recent payment (within 30 days) ready when calling.
2) EMERGENCY FOOD: Offers a 3-day supply of perishable and non-perishable food, available once every 60 days. Distributed during normal business hours. Self-referrals accepted with proper documents. It is recommended that the potential client call before going to the pantry to ensure that food is available.
ELIGIBILITY: Individuals must bring a valid photo ID with correct address or change of address card, proof of address from bill envelope, social security cards for all household members, proof of income (where available; not absolutely necessary), birth certificates for children if social security cards are not available.
3) MOBILE FOOD PANTRY: Provides the Feed More program offering food to those in need Mon-Sat, 6-7:30PM in 3 locations. Baltimore Rescue Mission located at 4 North Central Avenue, 6-6:30PM; the playground near Lombard and Broadway, 6:30-7PM; 20th and Maryland Avenue, 7-7:30PM.
4) HOLIDAY ASSISTANCE 2014: CLOSED
o THANKSGIVING: Provides food vouchers to families in need. It is a lottery and is not guaranteed. Individuals sign up during Christmas registration Sept 8th-19th, 9:30AM-3:30PM at 3800 Buena Vista Avenue.
o CHRISTMAS: If a person signs up for Christmas assistance 3 years consecutively then they must sign up for money management classes with the agency. REGISTRATION SEPT 8th-19th. Registration hours are 9:30AM- 3:30PM at 3800 Buena Vista Avenue near 41st street bridge. Bring three gift suggestions for children 12 years and younger (each gift suggestion should cost less than $30).
MUST have ALL of the following required documentation:
--Valid Maryland ID card
--Social Security cards for all household members
--Proof of all income sources (pay stubs/DSS/child support, food stamp letter)
--Proof of expenses (current electric, gas, oil, water bills; car payment and insurance, etc)
--Proof of residence (Section 8, public housing or HUD)
--Must provide the paper including the break-down of family members, monthly rent and birth certificatesfor all children, ages 12 years and under
--Must know the clothing & shoe sizes, and 3 specific gift suggestions for all children
5) LIFE SKILLS PROGRAM: Offers a seasonal program annually in March and April (required program for all holiday assistance recipients). Sign-ups taken until the end of February. Daytime and evening workshops available, and there is no fee for the program. Class topics include budgeting, stress management and parenting skills.
6) CLOTHING CLOSET: Provides free clothes to homeless individuals and families.
7) FUEL FUND: Assists individuals with applying for the Fuel Fund at this location. Call to set up an appointment.
ELIGIBILITY EFFECTIVE: July 1, 2014-June 30, 2015
1 $1,945.00 $23,340.00
2 $2,621.67 $31,460.00
3 $3,298.33 $39,580.00
4 $3,975.00 $47,700.00
5 $4,651.67 $55,820.00
6 $5,328.33 $63,940.00
For each additional person, add $338.33 monthly and $4,060 annually.
8) DONATIONS: Accepts new toys and new clothing year round. Will pick up or client can drop off at 3800 Buena Vista Ave, MD 21211 after December 1st.