OVERVIEW: Provides medical benefits for immediate and long-term health needs. Purpose is to help eligible low-income persons of all ages with their medical bills when they cannot afford to pay for needed medical and health care services. May also pay for all or part of nursing home or domiciliary care.
1) MEDICAID-AGED, BLIND OR DISABLED: Serves individuals 65 and older or who are blind, physically disabled, or developmentally disabled. Requires documentation of disability. Applicants can "spend down" to meet income guidelines.
Individual $350 $2500
Couple $392 $3000
2) QUALIFIED MEDICARE BENEFICIARY PROGRAM: Serves individuals who are on Medicare. Pays Part B premiums, co-payments, and deductibles.
Individual $931 $8,440
Couple $1,261 $13,410
3) SPECIAL LOW-INCOME MEDICARE BENEFICIARIES: Serves individuals who are Medicare recipients but who are ineligible for Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program. Pays only Part B premium. Includes $20 per month income disregard.
Individual $932-1,257 $8,100
Couple $1,261-$1,703 $13,410
4) MEDICAL ASSISTANCE FOR FAMILIES: Parents and other family members caring for children under 21 can apply to get full health care benefits. Provides free health services including: Low-cost or free prescriptions,Doctor visits,Emergency room visits,Hospital stays,X-ray and lab services. Call 1-800-456-8900 to request an application. Household Size Monthly Income Limit
INTAKE: Individuals apply to their local Department of Social Services or City Health Department. Most clients determined to be eligible for Medical Assistance are required to choose a health care provider (Managed Care Organization or MCO). The Managed Care System is called Health Choice and affects all existing Medical Assistance clients and new applicants. Medical Assistance recipients have 21 days to choose an MCO provider and submit forms. If they do not choose a provider within that time frame, they will automatically be assigned one. Home visits are available to assist homebound clients with the application process. Medical Assistance recipients may choose to switch MCO providers on an annual basis during the open enrollment period. Also see Baltimore City Health Department to apply for Medical Assistance for Families with Children. Call 410-396-4398.
1) DUNBAR: 313 North Gay Street, 21202. Phone: 443-423-5944.
2) DUNBAR/ ORANGEVILLE: 2919 East Biddle Street, 21213.
Phone: 443-423-5100 & 443-423-5200.
3) HILTON HEIGHTS: 500 North Hilton Street, 21229.
4) HARBOR VIEW: 18 Reedbird Avenue, 21225. Phone: 443-423-4700.
5) LIBERTY GARRISON/NORTHWEST: 5818 Reisterstown Road, 21215. Phone: 443-378-4400.
6) MT. CLARE/ SOUTHWEST: 1223 West Pratt Street, 21223.
7) NORTHEAST REGION: 2000 North Broadway, 2nd & 3rd Floors, 21213. Phone: 443-423-6400. Front desk: 443-423-6341.
8) PENN NORTH/ WESTWOOD: 2500 Pennsylvania Avenue, 21217.