(Please close this window or tab to return to your search results.)

Program: Relative Custody Assistance

Agency: Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department

Resource Number: 36898900
- A county social services agency or a tribal social services agency with legal custody of a child seeks a court order to transfer custody to a relative or important friend with whom a child has resided or has significant contact.

- Parents still retain custody of the children, but must abide by the court order and may have to pay child support and adhere to visitation guidelines of the court.

- Prior to or as soon as possible after the transfer, the agency will contact the relative custodian about the relative custody assistance program which provides the income-eligible custodian with a monthly payment. The amount is based on family income, special needs of the child, and any offseting income such as MFIP, SSI, child support and veteran's benefits. Payments come from the county of origin even if the family moves to another county.

Program Phones:
(844)803-8466Toll free

Website: www.hennepin.us
Email: socialservices@hennepin.us

Location information
Brookdale Regional Satellite Center Site  
Location: 6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Suite 400

Brooklyn Center 55430

Site Phones:
(844)803-8466Toll free
Site Hours:
Vary; by appointment only
Disabilities Access: Accessible main entrance; accessible public restroom; policy for provision of accessible service
Mailing Address: 6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Suite 400, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430

Program Delivery
Eligibility: Social services shall enter into a relative custody assistance agreement if it certifies that the following criteria are met:

- The juvenile court has determined or is expected to determine that the child cannot be returned to the home of the child's parents

- The court, upon determining that it is in the child's best interest, has issued or is expected to issue an order transferring permanent legal and physical custody of the child. The child either is the member of a sibling group to be placed together or has a physical, mental, emotional, or behavioral disability that will require financial support.
Languages: Hmong; Somali; Spanish; Interpreters available
Application Process: To apply for RCA, an application must be filed within 30 days of a transfer of legal custody and MFIP (Minnesota Family Investment Plan) must be applied for before payment can begin; call for application or visit a Human Services or Satellite Center location
Program Fees: None
Documents Required: Application/registration form; court documents; proof of household income

Skip Navigation Links.


Person at the resource who last verified this information:
Last Verified On: 3/10/2019

Agency Background

Programs at Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department

Adoption Services
Adult Protection
Advocates and Appeals
Burial/Funeral Assistance
Chemical Health
Child and Teen Checkups
Child Care Assistance
Child Care Licensing
Child Protection
Child Support Services
Children's Mental Health
Children's Mental Health Crisis Services
COPE - Mental Health Crisis Services for Adults - Community Outreach for Psychiatric Emergencies
Daytime and After Hours Shelter Teams
Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
Domestic Abuse Service Center
Emergency Assistance - EA
Emergency General Assistance - EGA
Follow Along Program
Food Support Program
Foster Care and Licensing
Fraud Information and Complaints
General Assistance - GA
Health Care for the Homeless Project
Hennepin Community Volunteers
Hennepin County Mental Health Center
Hennepin County Public Health Clinic
Homeless Access Unit
Housing Support
Human Services Centers, Satellite Centers and Health Services Locations
Immunization Services
Initial Contact Front Door Social Services
Medical Assistance - MA
Medical Transportation Assistance
Medicare Savings Programs
Mental Health Housing
Minnesota Family Investment Program - MFIP
Minnesota Food Assistance Program - MFAP
Minnesota Supplemental Aid - MSA
Office of Multicultural Services - OMS
Parent Support Outreach Program
Prepetition Screening - PSP
Project CHILD
Project Connect
Refugee Cash Assistance Program - RCA
Refugee Medical Assistance - RMA
Start Today Hennepin
Teen Parent Program
Veterans Services
WIC Program - Women, Infants and Children
Work Supports

Accreditations: Does not apply
Funding: Federal; state; county; fees

Print to PDF
Make PDF

Do you see something wrong that needs to be corrected? If so, please enter your
comment below.

Your name

Your email address

Your comments

Are you from this agency and want to make changes to this record? If so, and if you were the last person to verify this resource with us, enter the captcha as you see below, then click the button below and we'll send an email to the address on file. When you receive it, you'll see a link inside the email which you can click on. It will bring you to a secure web page where you can then make change requests.